What is OHSAS 18001:2007 ?
OHSAS 18001:2007is the International Occupational Health and Safety Management Standard.
OHSAS 18001 provides a framework to the effective management of OH&S including compliance with the legislation that applies to your activities and identified hazards.
Who is OHSAS 18001 applicable to?
The standard is applicable to any organization that wishes to eliminate or minimize risk to employees and other stakeholders who may be exposed to OH&S risks associated with its activities.
Many organizations will have elements required by OHSAS 18001 already in place which can be supplemented to provide a more cohesive management system to meet the requirements of the standard.
Organizations that implement OHSAS 18001 have a clear management structure with defined authority and responsibility, clear objectives for improvement, with measurable results and a structured approach to risk assessment. This includes the monitoring of health and safety management failures, auditing of performance and review of policies and objectives.
What are the benefits of OHSAS 18001 registration?
- Customer satisfaction - through delivery of products that consistently meet customer requirements whilst safeguarding their health and property
- Reduced operating costs - by decreasing down-time through incidents and ill health and reducing costs associated with legal fees and compensation
- Improved stakeholder relationships - by safeguarding the health and property of staff, customers and suppliers
- Legal compliance - by understanding how statutory and regulatory requirements impact the organization and its customers
- Improved risk management - through clear identification of potential incidents and implementation of controls and measures
- Proven business credentials - through independent verification against recognized standards
- Ability to win more business - particularly where procurement specifications require certification as a condition to supply